We aim to teach children (and adults!) that maple syrup doesn’t grow on trees! It grows in trees!
Below are some resources that are great ways to get started teaching kids about the process of making maple syrup. The below curriculum spans Science, English, Math, and History, which all work together to tell the story of how maple became a staple in our modern day diet.
Sapling Evaporator Curriculum
This curriculum was developed by us at the Vermont Evaporator Company to go along with our flagship Sapling Evaporator. There are worksheets for the students to make their observations and record measurements, along with other activities to keep them busy during the boil. There are infographics, suggested books, and other resources to bring learning about maple into the classroom.
Here are additional resources, blogs, infographics, etc., developed by us at the Vermont Evaporator Company to help you and your students learn about the art, science, math, and history of making maple syrup!
- MAPLE SCHOOL: THE MATH OF TAPPING A MAPLE TREE
- MAPLE SCHOOL: THE EARLY HISTORY OF MAPLE SYRUP
- MAPLE SCHOOL: MAPLE SYRUP STORY HOUR
- MAPLE SCHOOL: WHY DOES SAP RUN? SCIENCE!
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: MAKING MAPLE ON THE SAPLING
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: TIME TO IDENTIFY YOUR TREES!
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: WHEN TO TAP
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: HOW TO TAP
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: COLLECTING AND STORING SAP
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: MAKING, FILTERING AND STORING SYRUP
- DIY MAPLE SYRUP: WHY A CONTINUOUS-FLOW PAN IS BETTER THAN A FLAT PAN
- MAPLE: AMERICA’S INDIGENOUS SWEET
- BACK TO SCHOOL: A REVIEW OF CHILDREN’S LITERATURE ON MAPLE
- THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF MAPLE SYRUP
- ISN’T ALL MAPLE SYRUP ORGANIC?
- WHAT IS BIRD FRIENDLY MAPLE?
- MAPLE, ARCHEOLOGY, AND THE OTHER VERMONT EVAPORATOR COMPANY
Below is a list of curriculum developed by other associations, businesses, and colleges. There are a lot of great resources out there, so we hope to connect you with whatever works best for you, your classroom, and your students!
- Vermont Maple – Maple in Every School
- Cornell Maple Program – Maple in the Classroom
- Penn State – Maple Syrup Production
- New Hampshire Agriculture in the Classroom – Tapping into Maple Tradition
- Massachusetts Maple Syrup Producers Association – Education Resources
- New York Agriculture in the Classroom – Maple Syrup
- New York State Maple Producers Association – Educational Resources
- Wisconsin Maple Syrup Producers Association – Resources for Teachers
- West Virginia Maple Syrup Producers Association – Curriculum
- Minnesota Conservation Volunteer – Teachers Guide
- PBS Learning Media – Maple Syrup
- EL Education – Sugar Maple